It happened in history today, but I have a feeling the guy in history will consistently make bad comments, so I'll wait for a better one. Instead, I'm going to tell you about the one in statistics.
We were discussing how surveys can be biased, and the importance of large numbers and randomness.
Our teacher showed this graph of Bush's approval rating. We weren't talking about politics at all... only observing that some organizations were biased one way or the other, but that with all of them together we could see a general trend.
One girl raised her hand and said, "Yeah, but like, what if all of those are biased?"
1) He just said they were all biased.
2) The prof then went on to say that he highly doubted that 13 independent organizations with different political leanings would all choose to be biased in the same direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment