After the HHH concert, Alli and I drove to my aunt Renee's house and spent the night.
This morning we were on the road around 8:45 and within 15 min from my aunt's house the roads were terrible... especially as we approached the point of the mountain (I was driving a small Toyota Corolla btw)
Soon enough, as it always happens, the idiot in the lane next to me cut me off, no signal or anything! I didn't slam on my breaks, but I hit them hard enough that I started to fishtail--- and since I got a C in Physics 105 I didn't understand friction well enough to realize that I should turn with the spin, not against it.
We did a 360° turn before whipping 180° in the other direction. Did you catch that? WE STOPPED, FACING THE WRONG WAY ON A SNOW PACKED HIGHWAY!!! AND AND AND IMMEDIATELY behind us were two SUVs driving side by side coming straight for us!!!! So I sat there and clenched the steering wheel... Even though we were in the middle of the road, they both went carefully around either side of the car. It was surreal.
Alli then told me to turn into the spin next time (She's from California, I've lived in CO for 12yrs of my life, go figure)
THE WRONG WAY ON THE HIGHWAY...seriously, that just doesn't happen...I was living one of those dumb blond jokes!
So of course I was EVEN MORE careful, and even followed a big semi who was going so slow that his emergency lights blinking. About 20 min later it happened again- this time it was out of my control, I really didn't do anything wrong, it must have been the tires that hit a patch of ice just right... we started to spin left (into the other lane), but this time I turned the wheel correctly. We spun 270° and I'm proud to say that the spin was much more controlled, graceful, and the ending location was more convenient... instead of facing oncoming traffic, we were now perpendicularly stuck in a snowbank. As luck would have it, the car wouldn't start... so we sat there for what seemed like ages--with cars driving by and giving us incredulous looks. Eventually it barely started... fyi, I didn't go above 25 the entire way home...
and to make a LONG story longer: We got back to BYU at 10:30, a drive that should be only 45 min took more than twice as long.
Sorry to write so much... but I believe it is a truly crazy story- but I guess I haven't lived that long either.
3 comments:
That is so scary...I hate driving in snow! I'm so glad that you are still alive. :)
Agreed. Utah drivers are the WORST IN HISTORY.
*Glad you're okay. Maybe you shouldn't tell your mom this story.
So glad you are ok. It's been a real winter there in UT.
Post a Comment