Saturday, August 25, 2012

Up to Speed: Estes Park

As you likely read below on previous posts, I have not blogged in awhile and am catching you up on some of the summer highlights that I have pictures of.

In July, the parentals, Russells, and I had a long weekend in Estes Park. The trip was a lot of fun and Rocky Mountain National Park was spectacular. Ashley published two blog posts about the trip, one capturing the wildlife and another capturing some of our adventures so I'll try to give you a slightly different take on the trip.

Playing in nature is always fun and leads to great family photo opportunities:
IMG_5018IMG_5196IMG_5065IMG_4983

We did some short hikes with a lot of scenery payoff for energy expended. One being the Bear, Nymph, Dream, and Emerald Lake hike. But I think, as this next picture shows, Louis has figured out the best way to maximize scenery while minimizing energy expended:IMG_5050
Nymph Lake is pretty awesome with its lily pads. We speculated whether moose would frequent Nymph lake for a tasty meal:IMG_4988DSCN8935
We chatted with a catch and release fisherman at Dream Lake on the way back down. Here’s Matt taking in Dream Lake:DSCN8939
I took off my shoes and walked around in the cold mountain water when we stopped for a snack at Emerald Lake:IMG_5034IMG_5040DSCN8950

The Alluvial Fan was probably the most fun because we got to scamper around on the rocks. Turns out we were there just days after the 30th anniversary of the Lawn Lake dam break. We even ran into a guy who was there the day it flooded the valley and Estes Park. I’m going to be a tattletale and tell you about how I saw Matt lean over and dunk his head in at the top of the falls:
IMG_5162DSCN8967

And another must see is Sprague Lake, which you don't even have to hike to. It's really shallow in some places so I was able to wade out in the water pretty far. Check out the reflection:


Besides all the outdoor play and mountain life, my favorite part of the trip was Louis. I was really impressed with baby Lou. Matt and Ashley have his routine so well managed that he didn't have any problems with all the travel. He is always a happy guy and so much fun to play with.IMG_4964downsized_0719121736adownsized_0721120805IMG_5030

Matt had to catch a flight to California for work, so Louis, Ashley, and I got a little extra time together in the airport before we went our separate ways. Lunch is a lot more entertaining with a baby. Always fun to see you Colorado.downsized_0719121049




1 comment:

L.B. said...

can I come on your next vacation? ;o)
Those pictures are beautiful.