Monday, May 26, 2008

¡Bolivia, estoy aquí!

So I´m in Bolivia now!!! I arrived on the 13th. I spent a few days in La Paz (so cold!) and was able to get some touring in. Then on the 16th I took a bus down to Cochabamba which is where I´m going to be until August.

I LOVE it here :) my Spanish isn't so great but the nurses at work tell me "poco a poco" so maybe by the end of the summer I'll be decent enough to not sound like a complete idiot.

I'm working for an NGO (non governmental organization... basically a non profit). My NGO is focused on health, specifically reproductive health, so I mostly work with women. It's called CIES. I started work last Monday, and Thursday was a feriado, so counting today I've only worked 5 days. I'm with one other guy from BYU and he and I are going to go on rotations around the clinic. At the moment we're working in the emfermaria, so we're working with the nurses, and then in a week or so we'll rotate to a different part of the clinic. Apparently we're going to travel to schools and teach sex ed and such. The coolest thing I've gotten to witness so far was when I shadowed an ecografia doctor for a day-- so I got to see sonograms and stuff :)
besides that I´m mostly taking people's weight and blood pressure.

I'm with 7 other byu students. And we're going to be here until August. At the moment we're in a dive of a hotel and looking for apartments...

-natalie

5 comments:

The Dixon Family said...

Wow. You're pretty much the most amazing person I know.

Ingelheim Five said...

what the eff are you doing in bolivia? i probably should read the blog. i got my mission call... southern germany and austria. i'm going home.

dont be a stranger now. comment jordans blog and i'll comment you back.

-Gage

Kylie said...

Oh Natalie! That sounds like a great experience! I'm excited that you are there, having fun and learning lots! I hope you continue to have a great summer! I miss you! Talk to you later!

Allison Fife said...

natalie! you're so amazing! i love you!

Devony said...

i'm trying to figure out why you're in bolivia too! what are those types of doctors you mentioned? it all sounds exciting! good luck and try to keep us up to date!