Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My favorite people bring it to school

I love the people who wear costumes to campus on Halloween. Last year a group of students dressed like the knights from Monty Python trotted around clapping coconuts. Here are a few of yesterday's encounters:

A Michael Jackson in my world religions class answered some discussion questions. Problem is, he looked pretty legit in his wig, hat, and shades so it was strange when he took class seriously and responded out of character.

One of my favorites was a guy in a suit swinging some pink weights in his hands with a pink headband. Click here to watch the commercial.

A guy dressed as the Scarecrow from Batman was realistic enough that I was actually kind of uncomfortable. When I first spotted him I shuddered, and when he walked by me I couldn't resist pointing at him and saying, "That's really creepy..." It was an accusation but he was wholly pleased with my reaction and responded with an enthusiastic "THANK YOU!"

One guy had a not so Halloweeny but still an interesting costume. I could tell there was something authentic and "American" about his dress, but he still kind of looked like a guy who just wanted an excuse to wear peacock feathers on his head. (sorry these pics are from my dying phone)
I asked him about it. Turns out he was dressed as a Conchero dancer, which is an Aztec/ Mexican folk dance. Coincidentally, conchero was briefly mentioned in my Spanish class that afternoon. Isn't that they way life works?

4 comments:

Lindsey Hicks said...

wow I don't remember anyone dressing up when I was at BYU. That is a pretty impressive turn out of costumes I think.

alli coleman said...

I'm not buying the Conchero dancer explanation. Rio Carnival ... definitely.

Ashley said...

The Scarecrow from Batman would be a super scary costume -- agreed.

MLE Whatz said...

wow - much more fun than my halloween - mostly mario brothers and fairy princesses.